Social Inclusion Benefit
Who is entitled Who is entitled
National and foreign citizens, refugees and stateless persons who have a disability resulting in a degree of incapacity of 60% or more.
Disability is defined as the loss or anomaly, congenital or acquired, of functions, or body structures, including the psychological functions giving rise to specific difficulties that, combined with factors of the surrounding environment, may limit or hinder the activity and participation in the society on equal terms with other people.
Eligibility conditions Eligibility conditions
This benefit is made up of three components: a basic component, a supplement and a top-up.
In order to be entitled to the Basic Component, the person with disability must fulfill the following conditions:
- To have legal residence in Portugal
- To have a disability resulting in a dully certified degree of incapacity equal to, or above, 60%
To have a disability resulting in a degree of incapacity equal to, or above, 80%, if entitled to an invalidity pension.
The Supplement is paid to the person entitled to the Basic Component that is 18 years of age or older, in a situation of economic need or hardship, residing legally in the national territory and not:
- Institutionalised in a social facility funded by the State
- In a foster family
- In pre-trial detention or serving a prison sentence
There is no legal information yet on the top-up.
Beneficiaries under 18 years
The monthly amount is of 136,70 € (corresponding to 50% of the amount of the Basic Component), increased by 35% in the case of single parent families.
Beneficiaries up to 18 years
- the claimant has no income, the amount is of 273,39 €
- the degree of incapacity is equal to, or more than 80%, the amount is of 273,39 €
- the degree of incapacity is equal to, or more than 60%, and less than 80%:
- and the claimant has no work-related income, the amount to be paid is the lowest of the following:
273,39 €, or
the difference between the monthly limit (438,22 €) and the total of the monthly income of the person with disability, with a minimum value of zero.
- and if the claimant has work-related income, the amount to be paid is the lowest of the following:
273,39 €, or
the difference between the monthly threshold indicated below and the total of the monthly income of the person with disability, with the minimum value of zero.
Monthly threshold: The lowest of the following amounts:
762,58 € (12 months) or 653,64 € (14 months)
438,22 € + monthly amount of work-related income
Supplement: The maximum monthly amount of the Supplement is of 438,22 € and corresponds to the difference between the amount of the threshold of the Supplement and the total household income.
If the total income of the household is more than the threshold for the Supplement, its value will be zero.
If there is more than one person with a disability in the same household, the amount of the Supplement has a maximum limit of 438,22 €, increased by a percentage* for each of them.
* Fixed by ordinance of the members of the government responsible of the areas of finance, and solidarity and social security.
How to claim How to claim
You can apply for the benefit through:
- The Segurança Social Direta, at www.seg-social.pt
- The form Mod.PSI1-DGSS, accompanied by the documents indicated therein, to be submitted:
At the Social Security office at the citizen's shops.
If you apply for the benefit online, at the Segurança Social Direta, the means of proof can be sent by the same route as long as they are correctly scanned.