Benefit for the care of child
Who is entitled? Who is entitled?
- Beneficiaries of the social security system covered by the scheme of employees, self-employed workers and beneficiaries of the voluntary social insurance (Scientific Research Fellows)
- Pre-retirement recipients, in a situation of reduced work performance
- Beneficiaries receiving relative invalidity pension or survivor's pension who are working and with registration of pay-slips in the Social Security.
Granted to the father or mother to provide essential and undelayable assistance to the child in case of illness or accident.
Eligibility conditions Eligibility conditions
- Both parents carry out professional activity , and the other parent does not claim the benefit for the same reason, or is unable to provide assistance
- The child must belong to the same household in the case that he/she is 18 years of age or over.
- 6 continuous or non-continuous calendar months with registration of pay-slips at the date of the contingency, taking into consideration, if necessary, the month in which the contingency occurs, if in that month there was registration of pay-slips (qualifying period).
All periods of compulsory affiliation to any social protection scheme providing for maternity cash benefits, including the civil servants scheme, with registration of pay-slips, shall be considered, insofar as they do not overlap.
- You must have taken all the non-remunerated leaves, absences or equivalent periods under the Labour Code dispositions.
The termination or suspension of the labour contract does not affect the right to the benefits.
In case of sickness or accident:
- up to 12 years of age or regardless the age if there is a disabled child or a child suffering from a chronic illness, a maximum period of 30 continuous or non-continuous days in each year or during hospitalisation
- older than 12 years a maximum period of 15 continuous or non-continuous days in each calendar year.
These periods are increased by 1 more day for each child beyond the first.
The periods of granting the benefit for care of grandchild are taken into consideration for the maximum period for granting the benefit to a minor child or, to a disabled child or with chronic illness or cancer, regardless of age, and correspond to the remaining days of leave not taken by the parents.
Daily amount: 100% of the reference earnings.
The reference earnings are calculated using the formula:
RE = R/180, whereby
R means the total earnings registered in the 6 calendar months preceding the second month prior to the fact that determined the protection (excluding Holidays, Christmas and other similar bonuses).
If the qualifying period is not accomplished due to aggregation of contributory periods, the reference earnings are calculated in another way.
How to claim How to claim
You can apply for the benefit through:
- The Segurança Social Direta, at www.seg-social.pt
- The form Mod.RP5052-DGSS, accompanied by the documents indicated therein, to be submitted:
- At the Social Security office
- In the citizen's shops.
If the subsidy is applied for online, at the Segurança Social Direta, the means of proof can be sent by the same route as long as they are correctly scanned.
Time limit for the claim
The claim must be presented within a period of 6 months of the first day of no longer working.
You may be entitled to the Benefits compensating for holidays and Christmas bonuses, so in your own interest please read this document.